What is a Chargeback?
A chargeback, also known as a dispute, is a form of customer protection provided by card schemes.
Chargebacks allow cardholders to dispute a transaction that was unjustly charged. Once the cardholder files a dispute, the issuing bank will investigate the complaint, which starts the chargeback process.
Am I eligible for a chargeback?
You are eligible for a chargeback when any one of the following cases apply:
- Authorisation Related Chargebacks – Authorisation was not obtained/declined, and settlement was still processed
- Errors in Processing – Transaction amount differs, Duplicate Processing, Late Settlements
- Fraud – Unauthorised/Unknown Settlements
- Cardholder Disputes – Goods/Services not provided
How do I initiate a chargeback?
When you recognize your eligibility for a chargeback, we strongly recommend that you first communicate with the merchant and try to resolve the issue directly with them.
- If the merchant does not provide a refund, then Nium will investigate; if there is indeed cause for a chargeback, we will initiate it for you.
- Depending on the case, you will have to provide information about the transactions in question and provide the appropriate documentation and dispute form about the above eligibility criteria. A copy of the previously mentioned communication with the merchant might also be required. (N.B. If disputing an airline that has gone bankrupt, a copy of the flight ticket may also be needed).
- Please send the completed form and supported documentation to us.
- We will then work with our issuer to continue processing the chargeback and credit the client if we win the chargeback case.
- Please note that this process can take anywhere from 30-120 days. If the merchant does not reply within the timeframe, the client who submitted the chargeback wins by default.
Is there a deadline for submitting my chargeback?
To find out the deadline date for each respective scheme, please refer to these links:
These sites focus on updating chargeback information and should provide added reassurance on the respective deadlines.
Is there a processing cost?
Please note that submitting a chargeback request has an associated processing fee (regardless of the outcome) which varies by currency. Please refer to the Application Form for the fee amount.
Updated about 1 year ago